Tuesday, September 19, 2006

I believe, UFO.

This may in fact be my last post. I know. It's upsetting. Think how I feel for a second.

So, I'm seeing things. In the right eye. A "floater". I wasn't initially concerned three weeks ago when said foreign object invaded my vision. True, I did reach for the elusive fuzzy but was unable to capture it within my tiny palm, which is just about the time I started to freak out.

This particular UFO looks like a tiny tiny hairball and it moves like a tiger. Fast. I had sort of resigned myself to this special thing floating around my eye. And then I read up about it on WebMD.

I'd like to warn you about WebMD. If you have even a touch of hypochondria or general paranoia, stay away from the WebMD. This site is like a hungry parasite feeding on all your insecurities. Look up "flu" and you may discover you contracted ebola. I innocently researched my floater and was shocked and dismayed to learn I may have "retinal detachment" which requires SURGERY.

Calm down for a minute. I made an appointment with Dr. Magoo but I can't say the receptionist was all too concerned. I thought about whipping out my secret knowledge of "retinal detachment" but vetoed that decision.

As if all this trauma weren't enough, then I learn a good friend of mine has several floaters. Has had them for years.

Hold the phone, Buck Jones.

You can probably tell that I'm fairly worked up about losing my sight, especially after that other eye doctor compared my eyes to mangoes. So I'm going to stop staring at this screen and researching my fate. Keep your eyes crossed for me, puppies.

2 comments:

  1. Dear Shiny Penny. My father had a detached retina and it was very dramatic. Especially for a man who hides any discomfort forever (see Shiny Penny Sr.) or for as long as he can. He thought that he was going to faint at all times and everything around him was spinning. He was in Italy and the doctors had him on a plane back to the US that day for surgery in the US the next. He is fine now, but it was quite dramatic and scary. I am glad that you are going to see Dr. Magoo though :) I need the shiny penny blogs!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Anonymous5:18 AM

    I've had floaters for years. They are completely normal and you can't really do anything about them. They tend to show up in your dominant eye (usually the same as your dominant hand) first. Mine are also in my right eye.

    What can you do? I turn my screen brightness down because I see them more with a white background, but they aren't caused by staring at a computer monitor.

    ReplyDelete