Tuesday, October 10, 2006

SICK

I think I've mentioned this documentary before called SICK. It's about a performance artist who also happens to have cystic fibrosis. He's also coincidentally into S&M. This guy is for all intents and purposes SICK. His body is ravaged by disease and self-inflicted pain. It's an amazing thing to watch, grotesque and yet entrancing. It's like he's doing this dance with his warped life and forcing the disease to feel the way he wants it to feel, which just happens to be hanging from his nipple rings naked in a gallery in New York.

Kind of puts things into perspective when you're whining about your sinus/chest infection. Boo hoo. I thought about that guy today as I moved into day two of invalidism. I don't have it so bad really. Sure I woke up at 2 a.m. with a splitting pain in my head and had to literally steam my sinuses clear for two hours. But during that time I heard the strangest things outside. One man was talking very loudly and animatedly about something but I couldn't understand him. I thought "there could be a shooting right here right now and I'd be called as a witness and the defense lawyer would get my testimony thrown out on account of my having a towel over my head and breathing in steam from a pot of boiling water." These are the kinds of things you think about at 2 a.m. when your sinuses have lain seige to half your face.

It's a sick, sick world.

1 comment:

  1. You too, huh? I've been out of commission since saturday. I took this new tylenol day/night stuff, but the day stuff makes me drowsy and the night stuff had me staring at the ceiling at 5am. Hanging from my nipples sounds pretty solid right about now.

    ReplyDelete