Monday, August 07, 2006

Like Sam Cooke said.

"Change is gonna come, nephew, and you better believe it."

Snoop Dogg said that. Well, he said that Sam Cooke said it, and I believe him. I believe S.D. has secret knowledge, and as you know, I'm all over the secret stores of secret knowledge.

But change is my preferred subject, and change it will be. I've been doing a lot of reading about change, change management, change readiness, capacity for change -- mostly in corporations. It's actually more interesting than that last sentence let on. What I'm learning is people are inherently afraid of change. I think some would go so far as to say they loathe it. People are funny like that.

And then I think about the folks who make the biggest change, who seek it out really. Transsexuals. (You didn't see that coming, did you?) Talk about shaking things up! I would venture to say that transsexuals must be the most courageous bunch in the whole world. I did a lot of reading about transsexuals too -- back in my school days. It was required reading for an English Literature class -- please don't ask me to explain that connection because my memory doesn't go back that far.

I'm not sure if Snoop was referencing transsexuals in that quote up there of a quote of Sam Cooke, or if Sam Cooke was referencing transsexuals in his original quote. I just don't know so stop looking all perplexed like I just dropped a big question. It doesn't matter. At the end of the day, change happens whether you want it or not. So why not stop being such a bastard about it and give the change a good slap on the back. You might be better for it. Or not. Change is funny that way.

1 comment:

  1. The only sure thing in life is change. Then "they" also say that the only constant thing is change.

    And a fun fact: Did you know Cameron Diaz and Snoop Dog went to the same school in Long Beach, CA?

    Shiny Penny is not afraid of change, she faces it head on. No fear is her motto! NO FEAR!! Undefeated Champion! Leader of all!

    ReplyDelete