Monday, June 26, 2006

My Anthem


I was watering my plants this morning as I do every Monday morning -- they like the strict regimen of a routine watering on a pre-determined day, pre-determined by their master, that being me.

Anyway, I had the VH1 Classic on in the background because it generally puts me in one of those glorious nostalgic fogs where I dream of my foregone youth and once hot buns. Well, the most righteous video came on and stopped me in my watering tracks.

You can probably guess that it was Eddie Murphy's "Party All The Time" off of the "How Could It Be" album. Not only is this song too awesome to encapsulate, but the video will literally blow your mind. In case you don't remember, picture this. Rick James, super producer, super freak, and just generally a super dooper human being, is producing Eddie's track in the studio. There are several hangers-on just sorta hanging out in the background, presumably part of Eddie's awesome posse. As soon as Eddie starts whipping out the jam, everyone pretty much freaks out, which is to be expected. There's a lot of grooving and pointing fingers and smiling and unbridled happiness. When Rick joins Eddie on his guitar, things get really crazy. It's a magical duet. Rick's flowing blonde locks, Eddie's mastery of the mic, the hand clapping, the long looks into the camera, the mesmerizing chorus "My girl wants to party all the time, party all the time, party all the time." It's history in the making.

So I've decided to take on "Party All The Time" as my own personal anthem. It really fits my personality and my philosophy on life. I hope no one else has already claimed this video hits classic as their own, allthough I could understand it, what with the freakalicious licks and Eddie's soaring alto. But I'm going to lay claim to it all the same, and all the rest of you girls who like to "party all the time" can just go right to hell.

That was powerful.

2 comments:

  1. I subscribe to Cindy Lauper's "Girls just wanna have fun". I'm sure nobody else has "your" anthem, you're clear!
    Speaking of plants, Mistress Gardener, my avocado tree is just "growing" like an excited 18 year old (I'd point out a younger age, but if memory serves, I've never seen an excited teenager younger than 18) ... anyway ... avocado plants fool you until they sprout high up in the air! Thanks Mistress Plant who parties all the time! You rock!

    ReplyDelete
  2. My personal anthem is that other overlooked Eddie Murphy single, "Boogie In Your Butt."

    ReplyDelete