Monday, July 31, 2006

Denim has its place


Contrary to reports, I am not going to blog about the weather because frankly when it comes down to it, the weather is a pretty tired subject. Even though that segment on "60 Minutes" last night with the NASA scientist who reported that if we don't do something pronto about global warming at the melting ice caps in Greenland, we're going to be in deep shit. Yeah, even though there's that to worry about and the impending triple digit heat index in the coming days...I'm not going to write about the heat wave, per se.

Instead, I'd like to tackle a much more pressing topic. That topic is those people who insist on wearing jeans during a heat wave. While I was out and about this weekend, sweating out of every available pore, I couldn't help but notice a plethora of denim-clad men and women. It gave me pause. Actually, it startled me and made my head throb. All those poor legs and midsections and groins and ankles. Good grief.

What are you people thinking? What is wrong with you? I'd like to know because the very notion of sliding a leg inside of my Levi's right now makes me throw up just a little bit. I understand some people like to buck convention and others don't like their legs or knees or ankles but really, this devotion to denim is beyond duty. It's insanity. Free yourself. Cut those jeans at the knee. Get a pair of shorts or some short pants or a kilt or something, anything.

The whole world is going to pot. There's war in more parts of the world than I can fathom; there's Mel Gibson's DUI; there's the fact the "Miami Vice" was the number-one movie this weekend. There's trouble in paradise, puppies. Please do your part by saying NO to the denim. It can make a difference.

1 comment:

  1. I could think of many health reasons not to wear denim in this heat ... enough said. well alright one more, I think it would need some ointment and creams... yup ... shiny tell the world to stop that nonsense! amen!

    ReplyDelete