Saturday, July 01, 2006

Journey to a place far, far away

There exist places far, far away in my mind, and yet only a wee 30 minutes on the F train. One such place is called Brooklyn. They have large, green parks there. People live in this far and away place in big brownstones. They walk down very wide sidewalks in this place. They look just like you and me. I know -- it's alarming.

Anyway, I went to this park way out there to see some TV On The Radio because I liked their photo. I've never heard the TV On The Radio, but like I said, I was visually stimulated by their photo. The people who inhabit this Brooklyn were all out with their blankets and their wine and their funny cigarettes and their burritos. We came ill-prepared to sit on the grassy knoll but we're tough and resourceful. It started to drizzle during the second of two not-so hot bands and thanks to the encouragement of one of our clan, we managed to stay for the main attraction. They did not disappoint. True, I thought the TV On The Radio sound a lot like Fishbone, except not funny.

I love the Fishbone. I saw the Fishbone eons ago when I was young and my buns were hot in a place called Philadelphia. It was summer and there were a lot of sweaty people surrounding me. I do not like to be touched by sweaty people in public, unless I have extended an invitation to do so. Which reminds me of a strange fact that a Cupcake shared with us last night: In any one day you come into indirect contact with 15 penises. I don't have much to say about that particular fact. Facts are facts and it's not within my scope to dispute them. Back to The Fishbone. Angelo climbed one of the spires alongside the stage during the concert. That was pretty awesome. They played all my favorite songs, like "Ma and Pa" and "Sunless Saturday" and "Subliminal Facism." Yeah those were some kick-ass days.

Tonight I'll keep it closer to home for yet another musical extravaganza known as Echo & The Bunnymen. Yes, they're still together, you unbelievers. Please don't show up and try to engage me in conversation because my attention will be elsewhere, namely on stage. But thanks for taking this journey with me. Rock it.

1 comment:

  1. I was having coffee with Nevena and we walked by Irving Plaza this evening and I told her that you were probably in there watching Echo and the Bummymen and she said: "What? They are still around?" ... yup, I wasn't the only one :):

    ReplyDelete