Sunday, March 25, 2007

Ants in Pants


Self-diagnosis: ants in pants. Feeling nervous or anxious about something or someone.

Prognosis: will live. Prone to spastic outbursts. Harmful to self, less so to others.

Ants in pants is originally an English idiomatic phrase. Those crazy English. So clever. I'm wondering about the real derivation.

Picture this: little Georgie picnicking with his family. Mother passes the creamed corn. Father smiles self-satisfied, pats his own belly. Suddenly, and without invitation, an army of ants invades little Georgie's pants. Little Georgie hops to and fro, trying to shake said ants from said pants. Father scolds. Mother begins to cry.

An idiom is born.

It's poetic really.

I don't think I'd appreciate having actual ants in my actual pants. I imagine that would be fairly freakalicious, heavy on the freak, less so on the licious.

Did you know that Ants in Pants is also a popular Milton Bradley board game? I need to get my hands on that.

I digress. It's the ants. Hard to concentrate when they're in your pants. If you see me around town sans pants, you'll understand. It may be the only way. It just may be.

No comments:

Post a Comment