Saturday, October 13, 2007

Colbert: My Biggest Fan


I was riding the subway the other morning and saw an advertisement for Stephen Colbert's new book "I am America. (And so can you!)" The copy read:

I wrote a book. You're welcome.

Obviously this caught my eye immediately as I routinely end posts with "You're welcome." I'm not going to get all up in Colbert's face about this infringement -- I'm just going to say "YOU are welcome, Colbert."

Yeah, that was super generous of me. I don't claim to have coined "you're welcome." I'm just saying it's all starting to make sense that Colbert is my biggest fan.

I will explain. I have a particular visitor who I cannot identify for the life of me. You might say this visitor is enamored of me.

Hey, thanks! I'm flattered! (That was two exclamation points in a row. You know I'm serious.)

Anyway, there's this repeat visitor. And then there's Colbert's advertisement co-opting my favorite phrase. Coincidence? Nah, man.

I could unleash my detective-like skills on this situation but why bother? Let the man adore. You be who you want to be, Colbert.

You are, as always, welcome.

No comments:

Post a Comment