Sunday, September 02, 2007

Labor not.


Happy Labor (free) Day! I looked up the origin of our holiday celebrating sloth (as depicted above) and discovered it dates back to the late 1800s. (That's right -- even on Labor (free) Day, I toil for you.)

Apparently the hoi polloi didn't want to work back then either. In this instance, I mean hoi polloi as the "commoners, unwashed masses". What's funny here is I used "hoi polloi" this very same day but incorrectly. I intended it to mean hoity toity upper crusters when in fact it means the opposite. Let this be a lesson to you: even I need a day off.

I encourage you to lay about tomorrow because this is what our government wants. True, most of us can't locate North America on a map but as Miss Teen South Carolina correctly pointed out, it's because "most Americans don't own maps." Clearly, this is a travesty. I intend to address maps on another occasion.

In the meantime, enjoy the opportunity to do nothing and have nothing expected of you. Labor not. Take some pointers from the two-toed sloth and max the relax.

Word.

1 comment:

  1. Anonymous2:50 PM

    My grandmother misused 'hoi polloi' repeatedly in the same fashion as you, Shiny. Maybe it's a Jersey thing. That's it, blame your environment for malapropisms.

    ReplyDelete